Searching for a suitable nursing home in West Sussex can be time-consuming and stressful, as you’ll want to make sure you choose the right place, offering the right care for your loved one. This is especially important for if they suffer from a condition such as Parkinson’s, motor neuron disease, strokes or Multiple Sclerosis.
This article outlines how Country Lodge, a nursing home in West Sussex, could be the ideal choice if you’re searching for expert care for your loved one living with Multiple Sclerosis.
Why do those suffering from Multiple Sclerosis require specialist care?
Multiple Sclerosis is a condition that can affect the brain and spinal cord, causing a wide range of symptoms, including problems with balance or sensations, arm or leg movements and vision. Although this condition can occur mildly, for most it is a life-long disease that causes serious disability.
Despite the fact that Multiple Sclerosis is commonly diagnosed in young adults from the ages of 20-30, it can develop at any age and conditions tend to worsen as you age. There’s currently no cure for Multiple Sclerosis, but it’s possible to treat the symptoms with medicines and other treatments.
Symptoms to look out for…
The following symptoms are not guaranteed, and commonly, some will come and go over time. These include;
- Blurred vision
- Weak bladder
- Muscle spasms and stiffness
- Trouble with balance and co-ordination
- Difficulty with moving, specifically walking
- Numbness or tingling in different parts of the body
- Problems with thinking, learning new things and planning
How can we help your loved one?
A study that was conducted by Multiple Sclerosis Trust highlighted the importance of the following for older people living with the condition;
- Social connections – This is one of the most important factors that go into caring for the elderly living with this condition. At Country Lodge Nursing Home in West Sussex, we ensure that our residents have plenty of time to socialise with each other, and family and friends are always welcome to visit our home and spend as much time as they like, often joining in with our activities and social calendar.
- Healthy lifestyle – Eating a balanced diet, combined with regular exercise has been said to improve MS symptoms. The residents at our home are cooked fresh, healthy meals daily, and are often involved in low-impact activities like bowling, spending time in our beautiful gardens or days out to visit the surrounding towns.
- Attitudes to life – Having a purpose is essential to feeling supported when you’re living with MS. We always ensure our residents have a daily plan of activities to help keep them busy. Among others, the favourites include quizzes and word searches, listening to live music from local artists, movie afternoons and playing cards or other board games. There is so much to do and to feed their sense of purpose in our home!
- Access to high-quality care – This may seem obvious but high-quality care is essential for any elderly person, regardless of if they have Multiple Sclerosis or not. Our expert nursing staff are experienced in caring for residents with a variety of conditions and are always on call when needed. Safety is paramount to us and our elderly care supports this.
Contact Country Lodge Nursing Home in West Sussex for a showround
Multiple Sclerosis can be a challenging condition to live with, but with expert elderly care and the attention your loved one needs, we can support them to live purposefully and comfortably.
If you think that Country Lodge Nursing Home in West Sussex could be the right choice for your loved one, why don’t you arrange a showround? This will give you the chance to meet the nurses on duty, chat with some of the residents and experience our beautiful garden areas and fun activities.
To learn more about how we can look after residents living with Parkinson’s, read our article here >>